Aprilia SRV 850 redefines the edge of the scooter world limits.
Power, set-up, sporty spirit, design: everything about the SRV 850 recalls the technical, performance and aesthetic standards of Aprilia superbike.
The style is clearly reminiscent of the Aprilia superbike world. No fan will have trouble recognising the aesthetics the stylistic standards in the new SRV 850 which, together with the performance, contributed to confirming Aprilia motorcycles as the point of reference in the world of competitive motorcycles.
Aprilia SRV 850 takes its origins based on the GP 800, the maxi two cylinder launched by Piaggio Group in 2007 which established itself as the most powerful scooter in the world. The Aprilia engineers enhanced that revolutionary project, transferring to the SRV 850 the know-how which stems from decades of victories on tracks all over the world and which Aprilia has always transferred to its most sporty bikes such as the Aprilia RSV4, the SBK 2010 world champion, and the muscular motard Dorsoduro 1200.
Evolved in engine performance, revamped riding set-up and aesthetics, the SRV 850 brings the philosophy of performance without compromise which is part of the Aprilia DNA into the world of scooters.
NOT ONLY POWER: A UNIQUE ENGINE
The Aprilia SRV 850 engine is the first and only 90° V two cylinder scooter engine and it makes the maxi from Veneto the fastest and most powerful scooter ever manufactured anywhere in the world.
Liquid cooled, equipped with electronic injection, with distribution of 4 valves per cylinder and twin-spark ignition, the engine has a displacement of 839.3 cc. Thanks to a new optimisation of the engine control system, it now reaches a maximum power of 55.9 kW (76.0 HP) at 7,750 rpm and a maximum torque of 76.4 Nm (7.8 kgm) at 6,000 rpm, specs which place the new SRV 850 at the top of its category. Two new oxygen probes (lambda) allow the engine control unit to optimise management of the fuel-oil mixture for the two cylinders, all to the advantage of combustion, obtaining a regularity of operation at idle speed and a progressiveness and torque flexibility at medium rpms which are a reference point for this type of engine architecture.
The new system ensures maximum efficiency in terms of fuel economy and emissions control.
But it is not just power that the designers had in mind when they conceived this extraordinary engine: crankshaft and transmission group were designed with a rotational motion opposite that of the wheels in order to have a significant reduction of rotating inertia and the gyroscopic effect: by doing this the handling and quick entrance into turns of the Aprilia SRV 850 is increased.
On the Aprilia SRV 850 the aluminium swingarm is secured in an entirely solid way to the frame, guaranteeing excellent stability at high speed. On the other hand, the elastic mounting of the engine allows the vibrations transmitted to the rider to be contained, all to the advantage of comfort. The final drive is entrusted to a powerful Regina chain, the most sophisticated type, sealed with a Z-Ring.
The exhaust system, completely free of the frame in order to keep vibrations to a minimum, is a 2-in-1 system which terminates in an aggressively styled silencer with heat shield.
THE STYLE OF THE APRILIA MAXI
SRV 850 brings the style of the Aprilia maxi bikes to the scooter world.
If the eyes are the mirrors of the soul, the front end of the SRV 850 leaves no doubts as to the nature of the first Aprilia two cylinder scooter: the style which made the RSV4 popular, the SBK 2010 SBK World Champion bike, is offered here in its entirety. The decisive edges follow the super sport bike trend in order to enhance the dynamic quality of the bike and its technical peculiarities. The surfaces stem from a careful aerodynamic study to emphasise, even in its shape, the performance of the SRV 850. The front end is the extreme summary of Aprilia stylistic language: the triple headlight, the dynamic air intakes under the light assembly and the racing top fairing are elements that the SRV 850 has in common with the bike that revolutionised the super sport world.
Even from the side view we see the Aprilia stylistic language: a style which conveys a strong, yet sleek character, even with the bike parked.
The metal effect insert on the central tunnel is clearly inspired by the shape of the RSV4 frame. The front mudguard and the mirrors, which house the built-in turn indicators, are faithful to the Aprilia racing style as is the half-handlebar design: the two arms are made of aluminium and the new hand grips emphasise its sporty nature. The graphic of the complete instrument panel, in perfect Aprilia Racing style, is at the same level as the best super sport bikes. A large, central LCD is combined with the large analogue instruments (speedometer and rpm indicator), a true on board computer with a vast number of functions (including: double trip odometer, total odometer, service LED, radiator temperature) selectable with a "mode" button located on the handlebar.
The strong and decisive front end is a perfect counter balance to the sleek and slender rear end.
The large saddle, made in Hi-Tech material, is in line with the sport design but offers great comfort for rider and passenger. The sleek and slender rear end of the SRV 850 ends with a spectacular LED technology light assembly which the new maxi two cylinder from Aprilia shares with the Dorsoduro 1200, another “extreme”, bike, standard bearer of the Aprilia maxi bike muscular sportiness: a family of vehicles which the SRV 850 is a full member of, bringing unique sport characteristics to the scooter world without compromises, not even in style.
FRAME AND CHASSIS
The generous power of the Aprilia two cylinder’s engine demands a superbly rigid chassis. The double cradle frame of the Aprilia SRV 850 is made of steel trellis pipes with reinforcing and rigidity plates.
Simulations and road tests have demonstrated that the SRV 850 has a coefficient of stability at full power similar to a motorcycle (1 rad/sec) and almost twice as high as a conventional scooter. The high rigidity translates into an extraordinary sensation of control while riding. The new Aprilia maxi scooter leans into turns like a sport bike, reaching 45° angles, maintaining neutral behaviour and extraordinary road holding.
Even analysing the suspension section it is easy to see who Aprilia's motorcycle know-how was implemented in the new SRV 850. A swingarm in aluminium casting works on the rear, secured directly to the frame plates on which a hydraulic monoshock is anchored through leverage, mounted laterally in a horizontal position, with spring preload adjustable to an astonishing seven positions.
Compared to the GP 800 the fork made in aluminium with large 41 mm stanchions - adopts a more sustained calibration resulting in significant improvement of dynamic control of the vehicle, improving braking and leaning stability.
The wheel rims, 16” at the front and 15” on the rear are manufactured in aluminium to minimise unsuspended mass and guarantee riding precision. Overall performance is also helped by standard equipment radial tyres, 120/70 at the front and 160/60 on the driving wheel.
The braking system at the front uses Brembo Gold Series double piston floating callipers and two 300mm semi-floating steel discs. On the rear the floating calliper with two opposing pistons acts on a 280 mm steel disc. The piping covered in metallic trellis and the levers which can be adjusted to 4 positions, are further testimony to the attention placed on realisation of the braking system. The Aprilia SRV 850 is even equipped with a parking brake operated by a practical lever on the right of the leg shield.
SRV 850 is equipped with a complete range of accessories which enhance its hi-tech spirit.
- Titanium and carbon silencer designed by Arrow with a bolt-on system that has a DB Killer, significantly lighter compared to the original exhaust. The Euro 3 silencer is EU approved for street use and it ensures a deeper and more sporty sound.
- A Gel Sport Saddle which, showing of an absolutely sporty design, provides maximum riding comfort thanks to an isothermal gel insert in the rider seating area.
- The Quick release top box kit can hold a flip up helmet and a full jet helmet with visor. The upper shell is colour coordinated with the vehicle and equipped with a backrest to provide maximum comfort for the passenger even on long trips. The top box is made from the same material as the saddle, in carbon-look fabric with red stitching.
- An electronic alarm complete with wiring harness.
- A smoked-effect tinted windshield, in high quality methacrylate to guarantee maximum protection and the best riding comfort in any weather conditions.
- A leg cover that also extends the functionality of the new Aprilia even into the winter season. Equipped with anti-theft, easy to install, the leg cover provides maximum stability even at high speed and increases passive safety thanks to reflective inserts. The waterproof saddle cover is built-in.
- A protective bike cover in black waterproof material with thermobonded seams and the Aprilia logo, reflective strip, transparent window for the license plate and chain ring covered in PVC. The cover features an adjustable elastic band on the edge that ensures a correct fastening and bags to cover any accessories such as top box and windshield.
- Anodized aluminium footrests which can be installed without any modifications thanks to the connections already predisposed on the bike. These integrate perfectly with the standard equipment footrests, maintaining the anti-slip feature.
- Mechanical handlebar lock anti-theft device, a quick, practical and convenient system which, when not in use, stays secured between the seat and footrest. The anti-theft device is extendible with a special accessory in order to secure the scooter to a pole.
- Modular frame cover front mudguard “carbon look” to enhance the sport character of the Aprilia SRV 850.
- Tom Tom GPS navigator installation kit, which includes the bracket and mounting hardware.